Wednesday, February 26, 2014

High Visibility Close Call (Looked More Like Low-Visibility)

What's up?


I didn't catch the conference call, just the report post on it (because, you know, work - BOO), but I heard about the findings Sunday, although nobody went into detail. ILC was just stoked to say "WASN'T US!!"

So, for those of you that don't know, two separate entities make the EVA EMU (that's fancy talk for spacesuit - whay are you here again?). ILC Dover makes the part astronauts wear, and Hamilton Sundstrand makes the life support systems contained inside the "backpack."

The part that failed was from a fan pump separator in said backpack, which prevented the water from flowing as it should have. So, like your toilet, it backed up into Luca Parmitano's helmet, and accreted around his face. Now, I haven't had time to read the report, just skim it (and look at the pages upon pages of [NOT FOR YOUR EYES]), but I didn't see any company names mentioned. I don't know if they did in the call or not.

IDC; I'll tell you what's up.

No comments:

Post a Comment